Last Updated Aug. 8, 2019
Some provincial campsites are putting up restrictions, some are even delaying their opening. What does this mean for your summer booking?
The province has seen significant rainfall in the recent months that has greatly affected the water levels of our many lakes.
Unfortunately, this has caused some provincial parks to have restrictions or even closures because of issues with flooding and washout conditions. Here are a list of parks and their recent alerts regarding this issue.
The road to the parking area to Aubrey Falls is currently closed to vehicle traffic due to washout.
There are no more alerts at this time for Fitzroy.
Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park is open with the following exceptions:
The former Liskeard Lumber Road in Gamble Township at the Elissa Creek crossing is temporarily closed to vehicular travel. This washout prevents vehicles from safely accessing the Gamble Lake and Chance Lake access zones on the North Lady Evelyn River.
Due to High Water Levels in Lake Erie and recent heavy rain resulting in localized flooding, Long Point Provincial Park is temporarily closed for Camping. Monarch’s Rest, Firefly and Turtle Dunes campgrounds have an anticipated reopening of Aug. 16, 2019. Cottonwood campground is anticipated to partially re-open July 29, 2019. Public safety and protecting park infrastructure is our main priority. Park staff are monitoring conditions daily and will reopen the park as soon as it’s safe to do so. Access to day-use remains open at this time.
North Beach is now open for the season. No alerts at this time.
Makobe-Grays River Provincial Park, Obabika River Provincial Park, Solace Provincial Park, and Sturgeon River Provincial Park
The former Liskeard Lumber Road in Gamble Township at the Elissa Creek crossing is temporarily closed to vehicular travel. This washout prevents vehicles from safely accessing the Gamble Lake and Chance Lake access zones on the North Lady Evelyn River. Alternative access to the North Lady Evelyn River is available at the Weedend Lake portage immediately west of the Trethewey Trail access zone. This section of road will remain closed until further notice.
Please note that due to record high water levels in Lake Ontario the following facilities are closed:
– Marsh Boardwalk (between the 2 viewing towers; you can walk to the viewing towers from either entrance)
– Calf Pasture Parking Lot (you can walk in)
– Elmvale campsites 325-336.
– Trails’ End campsites 371-373.
– Lakeside campsite 231.
Use caution near the lake due to unstable shorelines, particularly in Day Use 1 and the High Bluff campground.
If your campsite has been affected, you will be contacted directly by the reservation call centre or the park prior to your reservation to make alternate arrangements.
The Beach is very narrow this year due to the high water, and conditions are subject to change depending on weather and wind conditions.
Sections of the Marsh Trail were also damaged by high water levels earlier this year causing erosion and instability of the trail itself. The Marsh Trail remains open to park visitors however caution must be taken when traversing these areas of the trail during periods of inclement weather.
The Outlet and Dunes beach are open, but the beach is significantly reduced. Lakeshore Beach day-use area is closed due to high lake levels which have caused flooding of the roadway, portions of the parking lot and unsafe beach and trail conditions. There is an erosion of the dunes and during windy days high waves wash large debris onto the shore. For visitor safety and resource protection, the Lakeshore Beach has closed as well as the trail leading from Lakeshore Lodge to the beach, to the public.
The Cedars and Dunes trails are closed due to flooding.
For campers and day visitors with pets, please be advised that the dog beach area at Outlet is underwater and the Lakeshore Beach dog area is also underwater. Our alternate location is Lake Land Day Use area. You may wish to make alternate arrangements for your pets as there is very limited beach area available at Sandbanks.
Public safety and protecting park infrastructure is our main priority. Park staff are monitoring conditions daily and we will reopen these areas as soon as it’s safe to do so.
On busy hot weekends, we do anticipate having to close the park due to limited parking and beach area caused by the high water levels. Please be patient and visit www.pec.on.ca for other things to see and do in the County if you are unable to get into the park.
Please be advised that there is a washout at the boat launch to Duke Lake. Please use extreme caution.
No alerts at this time.
Due to high lake levels and ongoing erosion, there is no beach and no swimming area. Access to the day-use area is restricted to foot or bicycle.
Check if your campsite has any alerts or for more details about a park mentioned here: https://www.ontarioparks.com/alerts or contact your park to see if your campsite reservation is affected by this flooding.